Sunday, September 24, 2006
The War at Our Doorstep
With the outbreak of World War II, St. John's Harbour became an important staging point for convoys and warships crossing the Atlantic to Great Britain. In December 1942, the Canadian government installed two artillery guns below the Fort Amherst Lighthouse at the entrance to the harbour. In 1943, German submarines mined the waters ouside the well protected harbour resulting in the loss of an American freighter and a British ore carrier .
Today, the battery is in ruins but it remains a reminder of how the war touched the residents of St. John's from 1939 to 1945.