The dory was once a common sight around the harbors and coves of Newfoundland. These two man fishing boats were used to fish cod through the 1860's and into the 1960's. The Newfoundland version was a small 15 foot flat-bottomed boat with flaring sides and a sharp bow and stern. This provided a very stable floating platform and its design allowed easy stacking on the deck of a schooner.
Simeon Lowell who came from England to Massachusetts invented the dory in 1793. The name itself probably originated from a Nova Scotia redfish known as the "John Dory Fish". Some Newfoundland fishermen still build this "little Lady of the North Atlantic.