Winter at the Battery - Signal Hill
Signal Hill was the site of concentrated harbour defenses from the 18th century through World War II. The French had captured St. John's in the summer of 1762 but British troops dispatched from Halifax quickly won back the town in the last battle of the Seven Years War. The hill's military advantage, now obvious, resulted in the construction of several fortifications during the Napoleonic Wars, and their ruins can still be seen today.
Post a Comment