Thursday, May 25, 2006

Northern Pintail Duck


The northern pintail duck breeds from Alaska east to Quebec and south to the central Great Plains, the Great Lakes and northern New England. It winters from the central United States south to theGulf of Mexico and the West Indies. It is one of the most graceful and streamlined of our ducks with its slender body and long neck usually carried out stretched. They are very social ducks and often gather in large flocks of hundreds of birds. This bird was rarely seen in Newfoundland in the 1950's but now they are a comon sight in our parks and waterways.


2 comments:

Genevieve Netz said...

I suppose this is the same pintail duck that we had in northern Nebraska when I was a child. I remember them in a vague sort of way. They were one of the smaller native ducks.

Unknown said...

Hey John:
I can see that webby foot... on the ready. I too can see that wet reflection on her bill... that makes this photo quite a (trill?)
I think he knows your in that blind!
Great shot John! Your new follower, KennethF
ps: Gene told me you photos were worth their weight in__ gold! She was right, again.