Because of Trinity's excellent harbour and access to the fishing grounds, the early English settlers were subject to French raids. In order to protect their interests, England established a fort on the peninsula that jutted out into the harbour. In 1744, the garrison housed fourteen 24 pounder cannons that protected the inner harbour. The fort was menaced by the French in 1762 and surrendered to the French commander, Captain Chevalier de Boisgelin, who destroyed the fort and and disabled the cannons .
The fort was reestablished in 1812 as protection against American privateers but it was eventually abandoned. Today, only the lonely cannons still guard the approaches to Trinity manned by unseen soldiers.