Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Northern Cod



Codfish cakes for breakfast or lunch are an old Newfoundland tradition. They remain one of my favorite dishes.

Here is a recipe:

Codfish Cakes
2 cups salt cod
3 cups peeled, diced potatoes
1 egg, beaten
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Cream

Soak cod overnight. Drain. Pull apart into Flakes or shreds. Boil with potatoes until potatoes are tender. Drain and mash together potatoes and fish. Beat in egg, pepper and a little cream if necessary to make mixture light and fluffy.Pat into cakes and pan fry in hot greased pan, turning once to brown both sides.

Serves 6.

.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Thank you for this recipe, it sounds wonderful. When I was growing up in Canada, we often had finnan haddie, can one still buy it? It certainly isn't available where I live in Oregon, no one has ever heard of it.

Anonymous said...

I can imagine that these have a nice crunchy crust when fried and I'm sure they're delicious. I don't think there's anywhere I could buy salt cod here, but I might try this recipe just as a fish cake made with canned fish.