Monday, October 02, 2006

Tangled Bollard

A bollard is a short wooden, iron or stone post used on a quayside for mooring ships. The term may be related to bole, meaning the lower trunk of a tree. Bollards are rarely totally cyclindrical, but typically have a larger diameter near the top to discourage mooring warps (docklines) from coming loose.
- exerpt from Wikipedia

This example, with its confusing mass of rope lines, is shaped like a set of horns - an oversized deck cleat.

No comments: