Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Resettlement - Bacon Cove


In a press release, dated Oct 29, 1957, Premier J.R. Smallwood estimated that as many as 200 settlements in Newfoundland were “with no great future” and that upwards of 50,000 could be resettled.

The resettlement plan began! Between 1954 and 1965 110 Newfoundland communities were abandoned, with a population of about 7,500. Between 1965 and 1975 some 148 communities were abandoned, involving the relocation of an additional 20,000 people. The main areas affected were the islands of Placentia Bay, Bonavista Bay and Notre Dame Bay, as well as communities on the southwest coast.
The resettlement programme had a profound impact on the lives of those affected, and it continues to shape the culture and collective psyche of the province today.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey John,

I've looked at this shot two or three times... enlarged, down the posts at other forgrounds, then back again with thoughts of the many abandoned building I have visited over my times past.

They all have had an unusual effect on me. I envision the joy of the previous builders as well as the new occupants delights?

This perticular hillside location must have a view in the opposite direction that I would like!

I do enjoy your efforts every time.
Sincerely, KennethF

Genevieve Netz said...

I hate to see homes standing empty and falling apart. The picket fence shows the hope and pride the homeowners once had. This resettlement sounds like a very sad episode in Newfoundland's history.